Monday, September 14, 2009

In comparison to the story “A&P” the heroism in these two poems is somewhat similar. All three use the adolescent of the story to be the “hero”. Should children, or youth, be portrayed as heroes for acts unintentionally made? Similarly, in all of the stories, the main character, or the “hero” is the odd person out. In “The Only Girl at the Boy’s Party” it is the girl, in “A&P” it is Sammy, and in "Rites of Passage" it is the birthday boy’s. All of these characters intentionally, and unintentionally stand out in different ways. Personally, just as I have stated that I do not believe Sammy committed acts of Heroism, I also do not believe that either of these other characters did. It is another very vague situation in which I believe few people would believe any heroic act occurred. Although there is a lot of symbolism, especially in "Rites of Passage", with class systems, rankings, authority, and power, I still do not see heroism displayed referring to my definition of a hero. In "The Only Girl at the Boys' Party", there is a sense of heroism by it comparing to taking a stand for gender rights, but I still don’t see a true hero coming out of the story. In all, I believe because I do not use the word “hero” loosely, I cannot classify a lot of stories as heroic or obtaining heroes in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment