Monday, October 12, 2009

Because my soccer team was out of town this weekend, I did not get the chance to go to the play “A Streetcar Named Desire”. I did, however, rent the movie. Although it was not the best movie I’ve ever seen, it was very interesting. The thing that bored me the most was the fact that the setting did not really change throughout the whole movie. Once I accepted the fact that I was going to be watching the same room for two and a half hours, I didn’t mind the movie. It does a very interesting job of portraying an “American Family”, which seems perfect from the outside, but truly is very troubled. Stella and Stanley were the biggest example of this for me. At the beginning of the movie she talks about how in love she is with Stanley and acts as though their relationship is perfect. In reality, he is verbally and physically abusive to her, but she stays with him anyways. Blanche also tries to seem perfect on the exterior, but in reality she has so many problems with confidence and facing reality. She wants to remain living in her youth, which is clearly long gone. This movie did a good job on comparing reality to fantasy, and also the fact that things aren’t always as they seem on the exterior. Although I did not love this movie, I thought it portrayed these things very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment