Monday, October 5, 2009

Protagonist or Antagonist?

It may seem weird, but growing up I always enjoyed the antagonist in a story more than I did the protagonist. The villain always kept me more interested than the hero. I believe that stories that have a strong character for an antagonist are much more exciting than having a good protagonist. Take the newest “Batman” for example. Heath Ledger did such a unreal job playing the Joker, Batman was barely even recognized. The movie would not have been even close to as good as it was without such a strong antagonist. The protagonist does make viewers enjoy the movie because generally we don’t like to see bad things happen, but the villain causes so much controversy it keeps the viewer on his or her toes. Call me crazy, but if you look at any of your favorite movies, I bet you’ll realize that they have a strong antagonist, and it was part of the reason you enjoyed the story so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment