Friday, October 23, 2009

Reflection on "Why do I Stay"

Recently, I read the poem "Why do I stay" by an anonymous author. It is extremely powerful, and very disturbing. The poem is about a women who gets emotionally and physically abused by her husband. She writes the poem in first person, and this style made me connect more to the poem. I felt horrible for how trapped this lady felt, and could understand how many women around the world feel the same way. "I wish I could just shut up, and be a good wife, and never make him mad." This quote from the poem was so powerful for me. Women all around the world make themselves believe that it is their fault that they get abused. It makes me want to talk to this woman and tell her that she isn't the cause of this, and she shouldn't have to put up with it. Women all around the world should read this poem, and respond to it in a positive way. It was so powerful, and although I've never been in a situation of abuse, feel like I understand what if feels like after reading this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment