Tuesday, November 3, 2009

For one of my outside events, I attended the poetry reading at the Otherlands Coffee Shop. I loved the experience! I have never been to a poetry reading before and didn’t really know what to expect. I do enjoy poetry, but some poetry I have a hard time understanding. I saw 4 different poets recite their poetry. The first poet was very similar to what I would expect at a poetry reading. His poems were very deep, and most of them I didn’t understand. When I looked around, many other people appeared to really appreciate them, so I figured that I just wasn’t connecting with his work. Two of the other poets were very good. I didn’t have a difficult time understanding and enjoying their poetry. The poet who read his work third was unreal. I found myself laughing during the whole time he was up there, and even on my way home. I thought his style was brilliant, and he captivated the whole audience. His poems were extremely random, but so hilarious. My favorite was the one about the “Avocado colored toilet”. He started off his reading with this one. He wrote a poem about putting an “Avocado colored toilet” in the back of a persons truck, and although this sounds very questionable, it was awesome. The way he read his poems and so much animation and excitement. If I were to read them on paper, I would have not gotten the same effect. This experience made me realize that presentation is so important. When I compare the third poet to the first poet this became really evident. The first poet spoke quietly into the microphone, had his arms crossed, and was very timid. The third poet didn’t need the microphone because he was so loud, put emphasis on certain words, and used many hand gestures. Maybe the reason that I didn’t enjoy the first poet wasn’t because of this poetry, but because of the presentation. He didn’t engage me, where as I couldn’t get enough of the third reader. The main experience I learned at this poetry reading was the critical difference in style of poetry and presentation. I realized that I personally enjoy a very animated, funny style of poetry and presentation. I learned presentation is so important, and even if something is not excellent, a great presentation can change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment