Monday, November 30, 2009

Road Trip

For Thanksgiving, I went to Michigan with 3 of my roommates. The drive to Michigan takes about 11 hours, not including stops. For some reason, I've always loved road trips. Most people use them to sleep, and dread the time they have to spend in the car, but personally I really like them. Rarely do I sleep on road trips, I'd rather stay awake, keep others in the car company, listen to music, find new radio stations along the way, and observe the changing scenery. When someone says they are going to be in a car for 11 hours it is usually thought of as absurd, but it didn't even seem that long to me. When I was driving, everyone else was usually asleep. I find serenity in listening to calming music while driving down an empty highway, with a bunch of peaceful passengers in the car. I definitely can tell why so many songs talk about driving in a car and feeling serene (ex. Lost Highway by Bon Jovi, At Full Speed by Jack's Mannequin, Fast Car by Tracy Chapman etc.). So Although most people can't wait for the trip to be over, I quite enjoy the quality hours in the car on a road trip.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore road trips!!! When my husband and I were dating, that's what we did for fun. We both worked in the restaurant business, so we were off work usually on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which meant everywhere we went, we were the only people around (especially camping, which is our favorite). I also love how it seems like the entire world fits inside your car, you're just moving through space in your own unique space. Stupid sounding, I guess, but, well, there ya go.

    ReplyDelete